Like many homeowners, you’ve probably found yourself wishing you had more space in your home.
Unfortunately, home renovations and expansions can be very costly. The good news? You may be overlooking a space in your home that can be easily converted: your garage.
Garage Room Ideas
Need some inspiration to envision your garage as a living space? We’ve put together a few garage room ideas to get you started:
- Game room: Add a pool or air hockey table to take your next get-together up a notch. Or maybe video games are more your style — either way, your garage can be the perfect gaming space.
- Home office: If you’re one of the many Americans who work from home or have a side hustle, you know how important it is to have an office space.
- Reading nook: Wishing you had a special place to curl up with a good book and relax? Make it happen! Or if you unwind in a different way, adjust accordingly. You can easily add a bar cart and some comfy seating, for example.
- Craft room: Maybe your craft is woodworking, ceramics, scrapbooking or knitting. Whatever it is, a dedicated space can make it that much more enjoyable — and free up space elsewhere.
Of course, these are only a few ideas. You could also change your garage into a living room, a laundry room, a guest bedroom or even a home gym. This is an opportunity to get creative and turn your house into the home of your dreams!
Think about it — your garage is already an extension of your home. Converted properly, garages can easily function as living spaces. Of course, you should always consider the pros and cons before making any significant updates to your home. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Adding livable space can increase the value of your home.
- Converting a garage into a room is a budget-friendly house extension.
- Since the structure is already built, you can do most of the work yourself without hiring a professional.
Some of the downside factors to consider before converting your garage include the following:
- You’ll lose the dedicated space for your car.
- While it’s less costly than an expansion, converting your garage can still be pricey depending on its current state.
- ou may need a permit for a garage conversion. Double-check before beginning your project!
How to Convert a Garage Into a Living Space
Do you have your heart set on converting a garage into a room? Following are the first steps you’ll need to take to ensure a functional living space:
- Insulate the walls and ceiling if you haven’t already, but don’t stop there. A properly insulated garage door will have a profound effect on temperature control.
- Install drywall and flooring.
- Upgrade the electrical wiring. You’ll want plenty of lighting in your new space.
- Connect to your home’s HVAC unit or install an independent system to regulate temperature.
Your next steps might vary depending on the type of room you have in mind. You may want to paint, measure the room for new furniture and/or finish up any carpentry. The sky’s the limit — just have fun customizing your new room!
Finish Your Renovation With a New Garage Door
Top off your brand new garage room with an updated garage door! A new door will ensure that your room is properly insulated and protected from the elements. Plus, it will add curb appeal and style.
Contact Custom Overhead Doors for installations and repairs. We have more than 25 years of experience making homes like yours beautiful.